The General Dental Council is seeking views on proposals to introduce a period of provisional registration for dentists and dental care professionals joining the registers for the first time.
Under the proposals, which will enhance patient protection, dental professionals will need to pass an initial assessment (validation) against GDC standards before moving from provisional to full registration. Dental professionals would then re-validate their full registration on a regular basis.
The Council is asking for the views of the public, dental professionals and others on the following areas:
• Do you support the principle of provisional registration?
• Should provisional registration apply to all groups of dental professionals?
• How long should provisional registration be?
• Should the activities dental professionals undertake be restricted during provisional registration?
• What should happen if a dental professional does not meet the requirements of validation?
• In what ways do you think provisional registration could be delivered?
The consultation document is available on the GDC website at www.gdc-uk.org. The closing date for responses is 20 March 2008.