The first day of having braces feels weird in my mouth. I find myself constantly licking my lips, running my tongue over the braces and just generally moving my mouth a lot. Cold water soothes the pain for a second.
As I have to go to my flute lesson on the same day I have them fitted – the metal is pushing against my brace, which is very painful. I am given a special toothbrush, some interdental brushes, some toothpaste called Duraphat and some Brace Eze – clear gel to put in my mouth and on my teeth to stop the wires rubbing.
Second day, I wake up and mouth feels tight and aching. I have to eat my breakfast right at the back to stop the pain. Now roughly another two years until this stops. It can only get better…
• Don’t get light colours; they stain. I have bright pink
• You are not allowed to eat crisps, kettle chips, chewy sweets and chewing gum nor can you drink fizzy drinks
• Drink water to ease the pain (temporarily)
• Try to avoid biting together on the brace; most teeth will be sensitive
• Fromage frais is nice on your teeth.
Wear instructions for fixed braces
• Keep teeth AND braces very clean. This may require brushing your teeth at least three times a day after each meal
• Take a toothbrush and toothpaste to school/work and clean your teeth after lunch and after any snacks or drinks
• DO NOT bite into any food, regardless of how soft it may appear. Biting into food will break the front brackets. Cut everything you eat into mouth-sized pieces
• DO NOT chew gum or sticky sweets as the braces will break
• Avoid hard nuts, crusty bread (baguettes, etc), food containing caramel or toffee and crunchy cereal bars
• Use the wax to cover any sharp areas of the brace to prevent the formation of ulcers
• Contact your practice as soon possible if any breakages are noticed to arrange for repairs. Breakages will lengthen the course of treatment.
Brace Eze is an orally applied setting gel, which provides instant relief of the discomfort, and irritation caused by orthodontic braces and appliances
Colgate Duraphat 2800ppm fluoride toothpaste is a prescription-only high-fluoride toothpaste. Clinical studies show that 2800ppm fluoride toothpaste delivers greater caries reduction than regular fluoride toothpaste
Colgate orthodontic toothbrush is designed to clean teeth around fixed braces and other orthodontic applicances. It has long angled outer bristles specifically designed to remove plaque from the gingival margin and shorter inner bristles that clean tooth surfaces between orthodontic braces and around fixed brackets and wires.
Nicole is being treated at Barnet Orthodontic Practice in Hertfordshire. For information, visit www.barnetorthodontics.co.uk.
For further information about orthodontic treatment, visit www.bos.org.uk.