Chief dental officer Barry Cockcroft and a senior representative from the Office of Fair Trading are set to discuss dentistry in a seminar in thr summer.
The Westminster Health Forum is staging another keynote seminar, Dentistry 2012 – quality, access and regulation.
Joining them will be deputy Susie Sanderson, chair of the BDA’s executive board, David Corless-Smith, of The Dental Law Partnership the GDC’s Evlynne Gilvarry, the BDA’s Dr John Milne, Dr Nick Patsias, of the Federation of London Local Dental Committees and Eric Rooney from the NHS Central Lancashire.
As the dental pilots come to the end of their first year, this seminar (Being held 12 July) will present an opportunity to assess their impact on the industry, implications for the dental contract, and for patients.
Sessions will also allow delegates to discuss the next steps for regulation, in light of continued debate surrounding the role of the Care Quality Commission, as well as the Office of Fair Trading’s investigation into whether the UK dentistry market is working in the interests of consumers.
Further sessions will assess the plans for the dental contract, and look at education and continued professional development.
The meeting will bring key stakeholders together with policy makers from Government and Parliament, as well as representatives from the industry and regulatory bodies, and other interested parties to discuss some of the emerging issues on quality, access and oral health.
Including keynote presentations from the Chief Dental Officer, the British Dental Association and the Office of Fair Trading, planned sessions to focus on:
• Clinicians and the contract – a view from the dental industry
• An assessment of the dental contract – one year on from the pilot
• Dental regulation under the General Dental Council and the Care Quality Commission
• The OFT’s study into the UK dental market, and its impact on choice, access and competition
• The future for the contract and for commissioning in dentistry
• The seminar will be chaired by Lord Colwyn, vice chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for and Baroness Gardner of Parkes,also a member of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Dentistry.
The event is CPD certified and takes place on Thursday 12 July in central London.
To book places, use the online booking form at www.westminsterforumprojects.co.uk/forums/book_event.php?eid=394.