A leading dentist has recommended parents ditch fruit juice for their kids in favour of water and a handful of chocolate buttons.
Kathy Harley, dean of the dental faculty at the Royal College of Surgeons, suggests many parents are unware of the erosive qualities of smoothies and juices.
Manufacturers are required to publish nutritional content of drinks on the label – but not their levels of acid, according to an investigation conducted by The Sunday Telegraph.
Kathy Harley said 50% of five-year-olds now show signs of damaged tooth enamel caused by excess acid in their diet.
While health-conscious parents meant well in trying to feed their kids fruit and vegetables, the acid and sugar combination in juice meant they should be restricted to a ‘once a week treat’.
For a full report, click here.