Dr Cockcroft revealed that a series of successful pilots have shown that new measures would result in better outcomes for patients.
He said: ‘The government has a commitment to provide a new system based on capitation quality and improving patient outcomes, so we have to use pilots to refine the learning and findings have to be implemented as quickly as they can so everyone can benefit.’
He pointed to the successes that have been made since the implementation of the 2007 Delivering Better Oral Health, such as a 63% increase in the use of fluoride varnish, and says that feedback has been very positive from the whole dentistry community.
‘We know from the pilots that they are well liked by the clinicians, the patients and the NHS as well. They emphasise outcomes for patients and focus on a more preventative approach,’ he said.
To see the full interview with Barry Cockcroft and more exclusive content from the industry's leading organisations, including highlights from the 2013 Dentistry Show, visit the ITN Healthcare News channel: http://www.healthcarenews.itn.co.uk
Healthcare News from ITN Productions includes reports about:
• New dental implant technology from Biomet 3i set to revolutionise treatment for patients
• Birmingham Metropolitan College offering dental courses to students from all backgrounds
• DMG introducing cutting edge treatment that could mean the dentist's drill is a thing of the past
• New Director of Edinburgh Dental Institute putting Scotland back on the dental training map
• A panel discussion on direct access at this year's Dentistry Show
• The balance between being an entrepreneur and being a dentist: discussions from The Dentistry Show
• Nick Thatcher exploring the new technology on show at this year's Dentistry Show
• The Dentistry Show: a place to top up on skills and techniques and even practice on pigs
• Litigation experts Apolline on giving dental professionals a helping hand to understand regulations
• Dental Buying Group's Andy Sloan discussing the training challenges posed by new dental regulation
• Leading dental technician Luke Barnett on better communication improving patient outcomes
• Dentsply's Gary Marvin discussing the major challenges facing the dental industry
• Kai Turk from Henry Schein on how technology advances have lead to a wider choice for practitioners.