The General Dental Council (GDC) is consulting on proposals to change the rules governing continuous professional development (CPD) requirements for registrants.
Dental professionals and the wider dental sector, including those involved in delivering and supporting CPD in dentistry, are being encouraged by the GDC to respond to the consultation.
Among the key changes being proposed are:
- New minimum CPD hour requirements
- The introduction of high level learning outcomes that relate to the 'Standards for the Dental Team'
- Embedding planning and reflection into CPD requirements
- Emphasising the importance of good quality CPD by requiring that all CPD be verifiable
- Introducing annual CPD declarations as a requirement of ongoing registration.
The new rules, which are set out in proposed new legislation, seek to embed CPD as a regular part of registrants' professional life.
They also aim to support registrants to meet the GDC's 'Standards for the Dental Team' and provide the GDC with regular assurance that registrants are kept up to date.
The consultation is open until 21 March 2014.
You can have your say here: www.gdc-uk.org/CPDconsultation.