Align Technology – provider of the Invisalign system – has extended its funding of the Align Research Award Programme for a sixth consecutive year for universities in North America and for a fifth year for International universities. The Align Research Award Programme is an annually funded scheme designed to promote clinical and scientific dental research. In light of its success, the funding available through this programme is increasing this year from the funds offered in past years.
Eight one-year awards of $25,000 each for dental research at International universities (outside the USA) are being made available. Additionally, there are five one-year awards of $5,000 each for intraoral scanner research at universities globally. As part of each scanner research award, Align will either loan the award recipient an iTero scanner for one year or provide an additional $10,000 credit towards the purchase of the iTero scanner. Study proposals for intraoral scanner research are not limited to the field of orthodontics; they may address any aspect of dentistry in which scanner technology would be of value.
‘These scientific research opportunities provide for greater understanding and acceptance of clear aligner treatment within dental universities and practices worldwide,’ said Dr. Mitra Derakhshan, Align Technology director of clinical international. Eligible applicants for the dental research award component include full and part-time faculty involved in dental or scientific research at universities where Invisalign is available. Eligible applicants for the scanner research award component include full and part-time faculties involved in research in orthodontics or general dentistry, in countries where the iTero scanner is commercially available.
For complete information regarding the awards and the application process and documents, please visit https://learn.invisalign.com/internationalresearch
- Applicant must be a full or part-time faculty member at a university located in a country outside of North America where Invisalign is available
- Study proposals must include all anticipated costs, including aligners if applicable
- Completed applications must be e-mailed to InternationalResearch@aligntech.com by 5 PM PST March 1, 2015
- All completed applications will be reviewed by an independent academic committee and their recommendations forwarded to Align Technology. Final selections will be made by Align Technology
- Award recipients will be notified by May 9, 2015
- Funding begins no earlier than July 1, 2015.
‘With an increasing number of applications each year and excellent quality of the proposed research, this successful programme has become highly competitive,’ said John Morton, Align Technology director of research and technology. ‘We are delighted to be able to provide this opportunity for researchers to advance the field of dentistry.’