Accessing Standards for the Dental Team on the go
Dental professionals can now access Standards for the Dental Team on the go.
Having published the new Standards for the Dental Team in September 2013, the General Dental Council (GDC) has developed a mobile site dedicated to the Standards. The mobile site displays the Standards themselves, as well the interactive focus on Standards content, currently available on the main GDC site.
The mobile site is specifically designed for use on a mobile phone or tablet so dental professionals can access the GDC’s Standards and guidance wherever they are.
The mobile site displays the nine key principles of the Standards, which are:
1. Put patients’ interests first
2. Communicate effectively with patients
3. Obtain valid consent
4. Maintain and protect patients’ information
5. Have a clear and effective complaints procedure
6. Work with colleagues in a way that serves the interests of patients
7. Maintain, develop and work within your professional knowledge and skills
8. Raise concerns if patients are at risk
9. Make sure your personal behaviour maintains patients’ confidence in you and the dental profession.
The mobile site includes case studies, FAQs and guidance to help registrants apply the Standards in practice.
The mobile site also enables patients to access the Standards more easily, so they can find out what to expect from their dental professional.
In recent user testing undertaken with GDC registrants, 93% reported they found navigation around the site easy, 97% found that the information on a particular standard was useful and 89% believe they would use it to read up on particular standards or guidance for future reference.
To access the mobile site please visit http://standards.gdc-uk.org
By law all dentists, dental nurses, dental technicians, clinical dental technicians, dental hygienists, dental therapists and orthodontic therapists must be registered with the GDC to work in the UK. This is to ensure only appropriately qualified and skilled dental professionals are part of the dental team looking after patients.