NHS England and HEE announce first Dental Clinical Leadership fellowships
NHS England and Health Education England have launched the first Dental Clinical Leadership fellowships in the NHS, in England.
The fellowship will work towards a certificate in leadership and commissioning from the University of Brighton and will aim to develop the necessary skills to work in modern-day NHS dentistry, along with helping fellows to deal with working in a senior role.
The fellows will deliver a range of projects including:
- A review of unscheduled dental care in England
- Health improvement with a focus on oral hydration, nutrition and mouth care in care homes and hospitals
- Interdisciplinary working between pharmacists and dentists to improve prescribing decisions and oral health advice
- Developing patient safety and incident management processes within dental services
- Improving the availability of data and information systems for dental clinical commissioning
- Supporting the development of dental services in response to the Five Year Forward View.
‘The opportunity to contribute to live projects within dental commissioning will equip these fellows with vital skills, but also provide an in-depth understanding of the complexity of clinical leadership,’ Dr Janet Clarke MBE, deputy chief dental officer, said.
‘Dentistry needs clinical leaders at every stage in their career, to guide service development and delivery, to ensure that our patients get the services they need and deserve.’
Yasmin Allen, Nikki Patel, Sami Stagnell and Shan Ellahi have been announced as the first four fellows.
They have a range of experience from within different sectors of the dentistry and were selected to bring a diversity of experience to the fellowships.
‘Dental teams are vital to clinical commissioning and the future of the profession relies on well trained clinical leaders,’ Dr Sam Shah, programme director for clinical leadership, said.
‘The National Clinical Fellows Scheme and the Darzi Programme have both demonstrated the benefits of investing in clinical leadership.
‘I hope this initiative inspires the profession and brings about a change in culture.’
For information on upcoming events arranged by NHS England in collaboration with HEE working across Kent, Surrey and Sussex, visit http://bit.ly/1Kqw312.