Say cheese: tips for a photo perfect smile
To celebrate National Smile Month (16 May – 16 June), Dr Bruno Silva from Brighton Implant Clinic has shared his top 10 tips for a perfect smile…
- Drink acidic drinks with a straw. Acid in drinks such as coffee and orange juice can wear down tooth enamel, so try to use a straw to protect your teeth
- Remember to floss. Flossing allows you to reach deep between your teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t
- Keep pens out of your mouth! Pens and other foreign objects can have many germs on them that can contribute to gum recession. You don’t know where they’ve been – keep them away from your mouth!
- Don’t eat the ice! Munching on ice can actually cause cracks on the surface of teeth, damage tooth enamel, plus teeth can become extremely sensitive to hot and cold drinks and are more prone to cavities
- A healthy diet is key. A balanced diet including fruit and vegetables as well as starchy food and protein will have a considerable effect on your overall oral health
- Use the right toothpaste. Ensure your toothpaste contains fluoride; it helps strengthen tooth enamel and is one of most effective ways of preventing tooth decay
- Use mouthwash at different times. Using mouthwash straight after brushing can actually wash toothpaste off your teeth, preventing the beneficial effects of the fluoride in the toothpaste
- Cheese is good! Eating a cube of cheese is a great and tasty way to help reduce the effect of acids from the foods damaging your teeth
- Be wary of dried fruits. Raisins and dried fruits can cause more tooth decay than chocolate as they stay on your teeth longer thus feeding the bacteria that can cause tooth decay
- Rinse before bed. Use a fluoride mouthwash every day, especially last thing at night before going to bed.