Employers are being urged to read up on the dental regulator’s rules concerning the dental professionals they appoint.
The General Dental Council (GDC) is beginning a fresh push to ensure bosses involved in managing and employing dental professionals are up to date on latest developments within regulation.
The GDC is highlighting its information leaflet, Advice for those who employ dental professionals, for both those who employ dental professionals directly or through NHS contracts.
• Dentists, dental nurses, dental technicians, clinical dental technicians, dental therapists, dental hygienists and orthodontic therapists need to be registered with the GDC to work in the UK
• How to check whether a dental professional is registered
• The standards the GDC expects dental professionals to meet
• What employers should do if they think these standards aren’t being met
• How to ask the GDC to verify declarations made by dental staff
• What to do when employing dental professionals who qualified overseas
• How employers can help dental professionals meet GDC requirements such as completing continuing professional development.
This leaflet is available to download on www.gdc-uk.org or in print by emailing email@example.com.
Include a name, address and the number of leaflets required.
The GDC is also holding a series of free evening events around the UK, which employers and dental professionals can attend to find out more about the regulator’s work, the responsibilities of registration and the GDC’s review into its standards.
The events are taking place as follows:
• Belfast on 12 January
• Birmingham on 17 February
• Edinburgh on 15 March
• Cardiff on 25 May
Places can be booked at www.gdc-uk.org.