Julian English explains how delegates can receive 15 hours of verifiable CPD from Dentistry 16: Stars of Dentistry.
A few weeks ago I received a letter from the General Dental Council (GDC) asking how we could offer 15 hours of verifiable CPD in a one-day course – a very good question.
There is a long answer and a short answer.
The short answer is that the hours offered are not all taken on the day.
The long answer is best given using an example. The best example in the new conference Dentistry 16: Stars of Dentistry (10 June 2016), this one-day event offers 15 and a half hours of verifiable CPD from a one-day course.
Dentistry 16: Stars of Dentistry starts at 09:00 hours and finishes at 20:30 hours with two hours of breaks. This gives a total of seven and a half hours of learning – which will be reflected in the CPD certificate.
Recommended CPD subjects are not included in the one-day event, which focuses more on aesthetics, restorative, MID and business topics. So for those delegates needing to focus on recommended (core) topics, they are given a subscription to CPD Dentistry. This verifiable CPD-compliant publication offers up to 22 hours of verifiable CPD, including all the recommended topics:
- Medical emergencies
- Disinfection and decontamination
- Radiography and radiation protection – including IR(ME)R2000
- Legal and ethical issues
- Handling complaints
- Oral cancer: early detection
- Children and vulnerable adults.
The dentist or dental professional can complete the verifiable CPD through reading the articles, answering questions online and receiving a certificate if the answers are correct.
FMC takes provision verifiable CPD very seriously indeed. The company has:
- Signed up to the BDIA code of conduct
- Set up a verifiable CPD advisory committee, which sits regularly to assess the quality of our CPD and its compliance
- Been accredited by the Academy of General Dentistry (PACE) in the United States to provide continuing education (the US equivalent).
Log and monitor all feedback on CPD in the UK from courses and journals.