The new Oral-B Genius is Oral-B’s most intelligent brushing system to-date, featuring position detection technology that combines cutting-edge motion sensor technology located in the brush, and video recognition using the smartphone’s camera, to track areas being brushed so that no zone is missed.
Patients receive instant feedback on the brushing of each zone of the mouth via the Oral-B App 4.1, including guidance on pressure applied and brushing duration. These features, combined with the Oral-B oscillating-rotating-pulsating technology and the round brush head, helps patients improve their oral health.
Brushing at its best
‘Optimal toothbrushing is a fundamental component of oral home care routines for all dentate patients. However non-uniform brushing techniques can result in both under- and over-brushing in certain areas of many patient’s mouths,’ said Louis Mackenzie, GDP and clinical lecturer at University of Birmingham School of Dentistry. ‘The Oral-B Genius and app use digital guidance technology to bring awareness to what’s actually happening each time patients brush and gives them real-time guidance to improve every brushing session. Now our patients can follow recommended brushing protocols prescribed in practice – with their own professionally guided brushing routines.’
Using Oral-B Genius, patients are able to actively monitor their brushing routine via the Oral-B App 4.1. This real-time feedback enables patients to brush for the dental professional-recommended two minutes, not apply too much pressure while brushing and, thanks to the new position detection, never miss those commonly missed zones.
Product features of Oral-B Genius include:
- Position detection technology. This technology senses and recognises areas of the mouth patients are cleaning via sensors built into the brush in combination with the smartphone. Oral-B research shows up to 80% of people spent insufficient time brushing in at least one zone in their mouth and 60% of people either didn’t brush their back molars at all, or spent insufficient time brushing them. Additionally, up to 40% of right-handed people do not spend enough time in the lower right jaw. Paired with the Oral-B App 4.1, the position detection technology in Oral-B Genius tracks brush position, and shows the user how to brush all zones in the mouth equally and evenly
- Oscillating-rotating-pulsating technology. Oral-B proprietary technology cleans tooth by tooth and its round brush head reaches areas that are often difficult to reach, providing a perfect job
- Triple pressure control. Excessive pressure during brushing is one of the key reasons for gum tissue abrasions. Some manual users apply brushing forces two times the recommended pressure, which can be harmful to the gums. This technology protects gums from over aggressive brushing by visually indicating when too much pressure is applied, automatically slowing down the brush head speed, and stopping the pulsations. With the Oral-B guidance system, up to 93% of aggressive brushers reduced their brushing force and the time spent brushing with excessive force was reduced by up to 88%
- Professional timer. Independent scientific research suggests that it is more important to brush all zones in the mouth evenly, rather than brushing longer. Even when not connected to the app, Oral-B’s professional timer ensures that each quadrant of the mouth is brushed for 30 seconds, to reach the dental professional-recommended two-minute brushing session. People using the Oral-B app brush for on average two minutes and 27 seconds, whereas manual brush patients brush on average less than one minute.
Oral-B Genius enables more effective brushing sessions every day, like dental professionals recommend, while fitting seamlessly into patients’ increasingly connected and mobile-dominated lives. But the Genius does not stop there. This brush is the beautifully designed companion for everyone who wants a personalised, reliable, mobile and efficient helper to achieve their personal best oral care routine:
- Stylish smart travel case charges both the brush and a USB device, such as a smartphone, with a single plug for any voltage to make traveling easier than ever
- Practical smartphone holder supports placement of phone on the mirror to ensure optimal use of position detection technology while brushing, and is removable and re-attachable for flexible, on-the-go use
- Lithium-ion battery with longer battery life gives patients at least two weeks of brushing between charges
- Smart Ring, a personalised multicolour 360° lighting system, features 12 different coloured lights that allow patients to customise their brushes via the Oral-B app.
The Oral-B Genius will be available in select markets from July 2016. The Oral-B App 4.1 will be available from July 2016 on iTunes and Google Play.
References are available on request. For more information, please visit oralb.com/genius.